The finish line in the Missing Middle marathon is in sight with the final vote on February 6. Now is not the time to slow down.
Between now and February 6, we need to show our continued support for reinstating duplexes, triplexes and quads in Decatur. Here’s how:
- Sign the updated letter to commissioners thanking them for their support of the Missing Middle zoning change.
- Let us know that you plan to speak at the Commissioners Meeting: Sign-up sheets will be out about 5 p.m. Sign up as early as possible. We want to set the tone and control the narrative like we did on January 17.
- Show up at 7 p.m. February 6 at City Hall: The meeting starts at 7:30 p.m. We need supporters to be front and center.
- Verbalize your support: Continue to email the commissioners AND speak at the February 6 meeting. You will have up to 3 minutes to speak. No one will debate you. A short and sweet genuine message of support will be most impactful.
• Speaking tip: If you’re not comfortable speaking in public, write your statement out and read it. Your statement will be on the record not that fact that you read from a piece of paper.
• Example messaging: I am [insert your name] and I [live and/or work] in Decatur. Thank you for voting to reinstate Missing Middle housing because [fill in your reason].
I am Susie Smith, and I live in Decatur. Thank you for the courage to vote to reinstate Missing Middle housing in Decatur. I support your decision because I want my children to grow up in a city where diversity, including race, age and socioeconomic status, is not just preached, but actually practiced.