Please join the Coalition for a Diverse Decatur & DeKalb VIRTUALLY for our next meeting, February 9 at 7 p.m. Our guest speakers will be Georgia State Rep. Becky Evans (D-83) and Richelle Patton, president of Collaborative Housing Solutions.
Rep. Evans will discuss her affordable housing efforts in the state House, including:
- expand The GA DREAM Program for first-time home owners,
- dedicate more funding to the Affordable Housing Trust Fund, which has the authority to hold funds that do not lapse, so we could use surplus funds that could be spent over several years
- dedicate more funding for supportive housing for persons with chronic behavioral health problems
- create more tax incentives for safety and insulation to help reduce risks and skyrocketing utility bills for our neighbors who rent.
- in DeKalb, increase Senior Homestead tax exemptions that have not changed in over 30 years so that seniors can age in place
Patton will share her experiences as an affordable housing developer and discuss:
- What affordable housing is
- Why it’s important in Decatur and DeKalb
- How we can help advocate for more
Also, the fight for Decatur’s Missing Middle zoning change continues. Learn how you can help.